Friday, February 8, 2008

The Urgent Call of Africa...

(This blog is not for the squeamish. Read at your own risk).

1-28-08
Hiked up to the first hut on Mt. Meru today with our armed ranger, Dixon. Beautiful. Saw a blue monkey, buffalo (the reason for our ranger), warthogs, bush buck, and notably, Kirk's Dik-Dik. After arriving at the hut, our "team" served popcorn, cookies and tea to us. Dinner was also catered to us and was far more extravagant that if we had been carrying and cooking our own food.

1-29-08
Woke up in the middle of the night to stomach cramps and sulphur burps. I lay awake as the gurgling and cramping moved through my system, eventually forcing the gas out my other end. During this time, I had the opportunity to consider what I had eaten that might have been carrying the offending parasite/amoeba/bacteria that was now creeping through my small and large intestines. I also had time to prepare the conversation I would have in the morning with Doud, the cook. I also decided that I would begin Cipro in the morning instead of waiting painful, explosive days to see if I got better (like I did in Mzuzu, Malawi the last time I had these symptoms).

In the end, I don't know that my conversation with Doud was as enlightening as I had hoped:
Me: Good morning, Doud. How are you today?
Doud: Very good. And how are you? [this is how all conversations here begin]
Me: Not so good. I am sick in the stomach. We are both sick in the stomach. We need your help.
Doud: (concerned) Oh, no. I'm so sorry.
Me: Yes. We need your help. We need you to wash everything in treated water and boil the tea water, yes?
Doud: Yes, yes. No problem. Don't worry.

Skip to breakfast. A bag of corn flakes and a mushy, soggy box of hot milk -- clearly boiled in the carton. The container says "Ultra Heat Treated Homogenised Milk." Times two.

Update: We are both doing fine and our bowels are functioning as well as can be expected for Americans who have been traveling in Africa this long.

No comments: